Welcome to TARUN IAS – Your Daily News Analysis for UPSC/IAS Exam Preparation!
Stay informed with relevant current affairs from trusted sources like The Hindu, Indian Express, PIB, and more. Our daily news analysis includes Prelims Facts and Important Editorials presented in a concise and bulletised format. Get free daily updates at 12 noon (except Sundays). Don’t miss the Daily Revision Quiz to reinforce your knowledge. Good luck!
Here are the topics covered for 26 August 2023: Ayushman Bharat, National Medical Commission, Defence Acquisition Council, Galaxy ESO 300-16, ASTRA Missile, Network Planning Group.
Table of Contents:
GS Paper 2:
- Ayushman Bharat
- National Medical Commission
GS Paper 3:
- Defence Acquisition Council
Facts for Prelims:
- Galaxy ESO 300-16
- ASTRA Missile
- Network Planning Group
GS Paper 2
National Medical Commission (NMC)
- The provision in the Registered Medical Practitioner (Professional Conduct) Regulations, 2023, which mandates penalties for doctors who don’t prescribe generic drugs, has been temporarily suspended by the National Medical Commission (NMC).
- A Generic Drug is a medication designed to be equivalent to an existing marketed brand-name drug in terms of dosage, safety, strength, administration route, quality, performance, and intended purpose.
- Despite its importance in the pharmaceutical sector, the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940, and the Drugs & Cosmetics Rules, 1945 in India do not offer a specific definition for ‘generic drugs’.
Significance of GDs for India
- Enhances the reach and availability of essential medications.
- Potentially reduces healthcare expenses due to more affordable prices.
- Increased competition arises as several generic versions are often approved for one brand-name product.
- Globally, India contributes to 20-22% of generic drug exports.
- Mizoram became the first state to operationalize Ayushman Bharat’s Microsoft Project.
More About News
- In 2023, the National Health Authority launched the 100 Microsites Project under the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission.
- A microsite groups smaller health facilities, like clinics and small hospitals, offering digital health services.
- Microsites include private standalone clinics, polyclinics, and health professionals from all medical systems.
- Microsites address ABDM adoption issues in private hospitals by mitigating concerns about digitization costs, regulatory scrutiny, and data security.
- Launched in 2021, ABDM is a premier digital health program aiming to create a unified digital health infrastructure in India.
- It seeks to foster a National Digital Health Ecosystem through an online platform that ensures seamless health data interoperability.
GS Paper 3
Defence Acquisition Council (DAC)
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has approved the Acceptance of Necessity for procuring an Electronic Warfare Suite for Mi-17 V5 Helicopters. This suite will be acquired from Bharat Electronics Limited under the Buy (Indian-IDDM) category.
- In light of a challenging neighbourhood and shifting global politics, it’s imperative to prioritize security and strategic measures.
- Fostering innovation and research in defence will not only strengthen our security apparatus but also bolster domestic capabilities.
- Furthermore, by decreasing reliance on defence imports, we can mitigate the current account deficit, promoting self-reliance and economic stability.
- There are several challenges to consider:
- Interoperability of Equipment: Ensuring that different systems and equipment can work seamlessly together.
- Economies of Scale: Initially, domestic production might not be as cost-effective due to limited scale.
- R&D Depth: Continuous and profound research and development in defence are essential for long-term advancements.
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) plays a crucial role in this context, being the apex body for defence procurement with the defence minister at its helm.
Facts for Prelims
Galaxy ESO 300-16
- The Hubble Space Telescope (HST), a joint venture of NASA and the European Space Agency launched in 1990, recently captured the irregular galaxy ESO 300-16.
- Located 28.7 million light-years away in the Eridanus constellation, this galaxy, resembling a starry cloud, lacks the structured form of spiral or elliptical galaxies.
- Positioned above Earth’s atmosphere, HST offers superior cosmic views in visible, near-infrared, and ultraviolet light compared to ground-based telescopes.
- The indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft Tejas successfully test-fired the ASTRA missile. Designed by DRDO, ASTRA is a beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile.
- The Mk1 version has a range of 80-110 kms, while the Mk2 extends up to 160 kms. It can reach altitudes up to 20 km and boasts a maximum speed of Mach 4.5.
Network Planning Group
- The PM Gati Shakti’s National Master Plan features a three-tier system:
- Empowered Group of Secretaries (EGoS): Top-level decision-makers providing overall direction.
- Network Planning Group (NPG): Handles integrated infrastructure coordination.
- Technical Support Unit (TSU): Offers ground-level technical guidance and support. This setup aims for cohesive and efficient infrastructure development.
- The Network Planning Group (NPG) is composed of the leaders of the Network Planning divisions from relevant infrastructure ministries.
- It aids the Empowered Group of Secretaries (EGoS) and promotes consistent communication among stakeholders.