Welcome to TARUN IAS – Your Daily News Analysis for UPSC/IAS Exam Preparation!
Stay informed with relevant current affairs from trusted sources like The Hindu, Indian Express, PIB, and more. Our daily news analysis includes Prelims Facts and Important Editorials presented in a concise and bulletised format. Get free daily updates up to 4 P.M. (except Sundays). Don’t miss the Daily Revision Quiz to reinforce your knowledge. Good luck!
Here are the topics covered for 10th November 2023:
GS-2: India-US 2 plus 2 Ministerial Dialogue
GS-3: Pusa-2090 Paddy Variety, AI Safety Summit , Aditya-L1
Facts for Prelims: Ni-kshay Poshan , COMCASA Pact
India-US 2 plus 2 Ministerial Dialogue
- The fifth India-US 2 plus 2 Ministerial Dialogue will be held in New Delhi. Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh and External Affairs Minister Dr S. Jaishankar will welcome US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin III for the Dialogue.
About India-US 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue
- The India-US 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue is a high-level meeting between the Foreign Ministers and Defense Ministers of India and the United States. It was first held in 2018 and is held annually. The dialogue provides a platform for the two countries to discuss and coordinate on a wide range of strategic and security issues, including defence cooperation, counterterrorism, maritime security, and regional security challenges.
- It was first held in 2018 and is held annually.
- India and the US have signed a series of “foundational pacts” to deepen their military cooperation, including the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) in 2016, the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) in 2018, and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) in 2020.
- India has 2+2 dialogues with four key strategic partners: the US, Australia, Japan, and Russia. The Quad, a regional security alliance, includes India and the other three countries, but not Russia.
Issues to be discussed in Dialogue
- The Indo-Pacific region will be the main topic of discussion. The two countries will also discuss joint ventures for the development of defence equipment, as well as ongoing negotiations for the US to supply and manufacture engines for Indian fighter jets, MQ-9 Predator drones, and semiconductor manufacturing.
- The agenda will also include discussions on contemporary regional issues and shared priorities for enhancing cooperation within multilateral frameworks, such as the Quad.
- The 2023 India-US 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue will further strengthen the India-US strategic partnership. By working closely together to address common security challenges and advance their shared interests.
- The two countries should continue to build on the momentum generated by these dialogue and further deepen their cooperation on defence, counterterrorism, maritime security, and regional security. The India-US 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue is a valuable forum for the two countries to do so, and it should continue to be held on an annual basis.
Pusa-2090 Paddy Variety
- Stubble burning is a major contributor to air pollution in India, especially in the Delhi-NCR region during the winter months. The Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) in Delhi has developed a new paddy variety called Pusa-2090.
- Pusa-2090 variety is shorter in duration than existing varieties, maturing in 120 to 125 days as compared to 155 to 160 days. This gives farmers around 30 extra days to prepare their fields for the next crop, which reduces the need for stubble burning.
- It is estimated that stubble burning contributes to around 25% of the air pollution in Delhi during this time of year.
- The Pusa-2090 paddy variety is also water-efficient and requires less fertilizer than existing varieties. This makes it a more sustainable option for farmers.
- It is an improved version of the currently used Pusa-44 variety.
- The IARI is also working on developing other short-duration paddy varieties. This will give farmers more choices and help to further reduce the need for stubble burning.
- Shorter maturation time, reducing the need for stubble burning
- Higher yield potential than existing varieties
- Resistance to pests and diseases
- Requires less fertilizer
- It is a new variety and farmers may be reluctant to switch from existing varieties. It is important to raise awareness of the benefits of Pusa-2090 and to provide farmers with access to seeds and other inputs.
- Farmers may not have access to the machinery and equipment needed to harvest and manage the Pusa-2090 variety. It is important to provide farmers with access to these resources.
- The Pusa-2090 paddy variety has the potential to play a significant role in reducing stubble burning and air pollution in India. It is important to promote the adoption of this variety by farmers and to provide them with the support they need.
- The government of India is also taking steps to promote the adoption of short-duration paddy varieties. For example, the government is providing subsidies to farmers who switch to these varieties.
- The adoption of short-duration paddy varieties is a promising step towards reducing stubble burning and air pollution in India.
AI Safety Summit
- Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly developing and has the potential to transform many aspects of our lives. However, there are also concerns about the risks of AI, such as job displacement, privacy erosion, and even existential threats to humanity.
About AI Safety Summit
- The UK’s AI Safety Summit, held on November 1-2, 2023, brought together global leaders from government, industry, and academia to discuss the challenges and opportunities of AI safety.
- The summit was also notable for the participation of China, which is a leading player in AI research and development.
- The UK’s AI Safety Summit was a significant event that helped to raise awareness of the importance of AI safety and to promote international cooperation on this issue. The commitments made at the summit represent a positive step forward, but more work needs to be done to ensure the safe development and use of AI.
The summit concluded with a number of agreements and commitments:
- A pledge to work together to develop and implement a common approach to identifying and mitigating AI risks.
- A commitment to test new frontier AI models before they are released to the public.
- The establishment of an international panel on AI risk.
- The publication of a “State of the Science” report on AI safety.
- These commitments represent a significant step forward in the global effort to ensure the safe development and use of AI.
- It is difficult to anticipate all of the potential risks of complex AI systems. Additionally, there is no single, universally accepted definition of AI safety, and there is a lack of consensus on how to best measure and mitigate risks.
- Some critics have argued that the summit did not go far enough in addressing the challenges of AI safety. For example, some have argued that the summit should have called for a moratorium on the development of certain types of AI, such as autonomous weapons systems.
- The UK’s AI Safety Summit was a timely and important event. AI is a powerful technology with the potential to transform many aspects of our lives.
- However, it is important to ensure that AI is developed and used safely. The summit’s commitments to testing new AI models and establishing an international panel on AI risk are positive steps forward.
- More work needs to be done to ensure the safe development and use of AI, but the summit has helped to raise awareness of this important issue and to promote international cooperation.
- Recently India’s solar mission spacecraft, Aditya-L1, achieved a groundbreaking milestone by capturing the initial burst of high-energy X-rays from solar flares. This achievement is a significant advancement in solar research and demonstrates India’s growing capabilities in space exploration.
About Aditya-L1 Mission:
- Launched on September 2023, from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Aditya-L1 is India’s maiden sun mission. It is equipped with seven scientific payloads developed by ISRO and national research laboratories, with the aim of studying various layers of the Sun, including the photosphere, chromosphere, and corona.
- The High Energy L1 Orbiting X-ray Spectrometer (HEL1OS) is a state-of-the-art instrument onboard Aditya-L1, designed to monitor the Sun’s high-energy X-ray activity with precision timing and high-resolution spectra. Since its commissioning on October 27, HEL1OS has been undergoing fine-tuning to optimize its performance.
Solar Flares and their Significance:
- Solar flares are sudden and intense bursts of energy and radiation emitted by the Sun.
- They produce enhanced emissions across the electromagnetic spectrum, including radio, optical, UV, soft X-rays, hard X-rays, and gamma-rays.
- Understanding solar flares is crucial for studying explosive energy release and electron acceleration during impulsive phases, which have implications for space weather and its impact on Earth.
- Precision Instrumentation: Designing and calibrating instruments like HEL1OS to capture high-energy X-rays with accuracy and precision is a technological challenge.
- Space Environment: Aditya-L1 operates in a harsh space environment, which can pose challenges to the spacecraft’s longevity and performance.
- Data Processing and Analysis: Handling and interpreting the vast amount of data generated by HEL1OS requires sophisticated data processing techniques and computational resources.
- Advancing Solar Science: Aditya-L1’s observations provide unprecedented insights into the high-energy phenomena occurring on the Sun’s surface, advancing our understanding of solar physics.
- Space Weather Prediction: The data collected will contribute to improved space weather forecasting, benefiting satellite operations, space missions, and power grid management on Earth.
- International Collaboration: The findings from Aditya-L1 will contribute to global efforts in solar research and enhance India’s standing in the international space community.
- Aditya-L1’s successful capture of high-energy X-rays from solar flares represents a significant leap forward in solar research.
- The HEL1OS instrument’s capabilities demonstrate India’s technological prowess in space exploration.
- This achievement not only expands our understanding of solar phenomena but also holds promise for advancements in space weather prediction, benefiting various industries and space missions. It also underscores the importance of international collaboration in advancing our knowledge of the Sun and its impact on Earth.
Fact for Prelims:
- The Ni-kshay Poshan Yojana is a scheme that provides nutritional support to tuberculosis (TB) patients in India. The scheme was launched on April 1, 2018.
- All TB patients who are undergoing treatment and are registered on the Nikshay portal are provided with financial assistance of Rs. 500 per month. This assistance amount is transferred directly to the patient’s bank account.
- The objective of this scheme is to provide nutritional support to TB patients so that they can complete their treatment and become healthy. TB is a serious disease that can weaken the immune system. Nutritional support helps to strengthen the patient’s immune system and helps them to fight off infection.
- The eligibility for beneficiaries of this scheme is as follows:
- The patient must be suffering from TB.
- The patient’s TB diagnosis should be done in a government hospital or health centre.
- The patient’s TB treatment should be ongoing.
- The patient must be registered on the Nikshay portal.
- Applications for this scheme can be made online or offline. To apply online, the patient must go to the Nikshay portal and apply. To apply offline, the patient must apply at their local health centre or government hospital.
- Benefits of the Ni-kshay Poshan Yojana:
- It helps to improve the nutritional status of TB patients.
- Also, strengthen the immune system of TB patients.
- In reducing the risk of relapse in TB patients.
- Overall improving the quality of life of TB patients.
- The Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) is a bilateral agreement between the United States and India that facilitates the transfer of advanced defence communications technology and services from the US to India. It was signed in September 2018, during the first 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue between the two countries.
- COMCASA is one of the three foundational pacts that India and the US have signed to deepen their military cooperation. The other two pacts are the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA).
- COMCASA allows the US to supply India with secure communication equipment and systems that can be used by the Indian military to communicate with US forces and other allies. This includes secure voice, data, and video communication systems.
- COMCASA also allows for the transfer of technology and services related to these systems. This means that Indian companies can now collaborate with US companies to develop and produce secure communication equipment for the Indian military.
Benefits of COMCASA for India
- Improved interoperability with the US and other allied forces: COMCASA will allow the Indian military to communicate securely with the US and other allied forces during joint exercises and operations. This will improve the interoperability between the two sides and make it easier to coordinate their efforts.
- Access to advanced defence communication technologies: COMCASA will give India access to the latest US defence communication technologies. This will help the Indian military to improve its operational capabilities and maintain its technological edge.
- Boost to the Indian defence industry: COMCASA will allow Indian companies to collaborate with US companies to develop and produce secure communication equipment for the Indian military. This will boost the Indian defence industry and create jobs.