India parliament: Security scare for MPs on attack anniversary

Disorder erupted within the confines of India\’s parliament as at least two individuals infiltrated the chamber, vociferously chanting slogans and releasing colored gas.

Video footage captures MPs and security personnel attempting to apprehend one of the intruders, who is observed leaping from table to table.

According to reports, security officials effectively subdued the individuals and escorted them from the premises.

This security breach coincided with the 22nd anniversary of a deadly militant attack on India\’s parliament.

Lawmakers disclosed that the two individuals entered the well of the house from the visitors\’ gallery, though their motives remain unclear.

The incident unfolded during a session in the Lok Sabha, the lower house of India\’s parliament, leading to a temporary suspension of both houses before the session resumed.

Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla remarked, \”We are investigating the matter and have enlisted the assistance of Delhi Police in the inquiry.\” He added that preliminary findings indicated the sprayed smoke was \”harmless.\”

In addition to the intruders, a man and a woman were detained for protesting outside the parliament, employing canisters of colored gas. They were observed being led away by the police.

Lawmaker Danish Ali, describing the event, said, \”Two people jumped from the public gallery, and there was smoke. Chaos ensued all around, and both were overpowered by security officials.\”

The breach occurred on the 22nd anniversary of a previous attack on India\’s parliament, resulting in the deaths of 14 individuals, including five attackers.

Earlier in the day, President Droupadi Murmu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and other leaders paid tribute to the victims of the 2001 attack on parliament, during which 14 people, including the five attackers, lost their lives.

Karti Chidambaram, an MP from the Congress party, shared his experience of waiting for his turn to speak when the chaos unfolded. \”Suddenly, it appeared that one person had fallen down from the visitors\’ gallery. Then we realized that it was a deliberate act of him jumping into the well. There was another person, and both of them pulled out canisters emitting yellow smoke,\” he explained.

Scroll to Top